To mark the arrival of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, LEGO has this week brought the ‘real’ heroes of the film to the nation’s capital for fans of all ages.
A group of LEGO Porgs – the new Star Wars critters that have set the internet alight – have this week been seen travelling across London and taking in the sights as film fans across the country return to the galaxy far, far away in the latest chapter of the epic Skywalker saga.
LEGO is also giving the public the chance to win one of three of the uniquely built brick birds over the Christmas period*.
Until the 15th of January, members of LEGO’s free VIP loyalty scheme that buy a LEGO Star Wars set via shop.LEGO.com will automatically be entered into a ballot to be in with a chance to receive their very own LEGO Porg in the new year, the creature adored by stars from the film including Daisy Ridley, Mark Hamill and the film’s director, Rian Johnson – who created them himself.
The group (or ‘murder’) of LEGO Porgs travelled from London’s South Bank, across Millennium Bridge and past St. Paul’s Cathedral – before finishing their sight-seeing tour at London’s Trafalgar Square and the LEGO store in Leicester Square.
Just ten of the Porgs have been created – specially built by LEGO and Bright Bricks, a LEGO Certified Professional (LCP) company – for the launch of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
LEGO PORGS – BUILDING FACT-FILE:
– Each Porg took 20 hours to build, and contains over 8,000 bricks
– Creating a combined build time of 200 hours for all 10 Porgs
– The LEGO Porgs weigh approximately 16.5kg each
– There are 8 different LEGO brick colours in each model, with each one standing 60cm tall
“It’s safe to say that film fans of all ages are going crazy for Porgs. We’ve not seen this much excitement for a new addition to the Star Wars universe for decades, so to bring the Porgs to life in brick form was a no-brainer for us here at LEGO,” said Alistair Galletly, Brand Manager. “The reaction from the public to these furry sea birds was incredible to see, and we can’t wait for three of these unique birds to go to happy homes in 2018.”
WHAT ARE PORGS?
– Porgs are a new species to the Star Wars universe, appearing for the first time in Star Wars: The Last Jedi
– They are a sea bird species, native to the planet Ahch-To – where Luke Skywalker hid in exile
– The creatures build nests and are capable of flying
– Male porgs are slightly bigger than female porgs; with baby porgs called porglets
– The design of porgs were inspired by real-life puffins that live on Skellig Michael